Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Holidays In September!

It's never too early to start thinking about holiday gifts for your favorite reader.  I happen to be a fan of giving experiences or sharing "stuff", so here are a few suggestions for the bookworm(s) in your life:

  • Elliot Bay Book Company's Maiden Voyage First Edition Program: I bought this gift last year to be shared among two other friends.  It's so fun to receive the new first edition in the mail (on a kind of random schedule, not every other month like you might initially expect). They even wrap it in traditional brown kraft paper that's easily recyclable!  Since there are three of us, once we receive all six new editions (signed!) we'll divvy up and keep two at the end of the year.  I'm making this a perpetual gift for them each year, so it'll be the gift that keeps on giving.
  • Nancy Pearl's Book Lust Journal: Book Lust JournalAgain, this is another shared gift among two other friends.  I got the idea when one of us moved away. . .I thought it would be fun to have a long distance book journal.  We each write reviews of the books we read.  It comes around to me maybe twice a year and I take the time to enjoy what my friends have written about the latest books.  When we started I was finishing my MBA so I'm sure they were thrilled to read business textbooks!  Our friend that moved away is now back in Seattle, so it makes it much easier to exchange the journal.  We fill about one journal a year and are currently working through our third.
  • Return to Home PageJane Austen Society of North America, Puget Sound Chapter: Grab a friend and attend or join the Society!  I'm not a member, but I did attend their most recent meeting and had a lot of fun.  Very interesting group!

Happy Reading!

- Jaime

No comments: