Sunday, August 26, 2012

Road Trip! Deschutes Public Library

We didn’t visit the Bend, Oregon area just for its libraries, but as with most of my travel, sneaking in a look at as many libraries as I can is definitely on my vacation to-do list!




thumbnail-librarysymbol
I drove past the Downtown Bend and East Bend branch of the Deschutes Public Library several times, but closed each time! It wasn’t until I was in nearby Sisters that I finally had a peek inside of a DPL branch. I had one more opportunity but though the Redmond branch was probably open when we saw the familiar Library Symbol Highway Sign as we drove through, we didn’t have time to stop for that visit. :-(

The Sisters library is situated just east of the majority of the downtown shopping and retail and the building, built in 2005, evokes a western feel that is consistent with the rest of the area.  Outside, their wide porch is definitely invited. Inside, the reading nook, with its large gas fireplace, is also definitely inviting.  One of my other favorite interior features are the bathroom tiles, created by elementary school students, very unique!

Sisters Public Library Tiles

As I was perusing their Summer Guide, an event that I noticed was “Overnight at the Library”, what fun!  Parents and children aged 6-11 are invited to spend the night at the library on select nights…I know that I would have loved that in my younger years.  This event and others like book clubs, are consistent with the library’s “Summer Reading in the Night” theme: kids are invited to “Dream Big – Read!”, teens “Own The Night” and Adults read “Between The Covers”.

For more information, visit Deschutes Public Library online, or better yet, in person!

Jaime

No comments: